Sunday, September 24, 2006

This Weekend

So I spent all weekend at the SWVS (Southwest Veterinary Symposium). Ok so it's exactly like it sounds. Lots of vets, techs, and students getting together to here lectures by other vets, techs, and students. Throw in the obligatory exhibit hall with 200 random vet medical equipment and suppliers and you have the SWVS. I had great fun and learned alot but there were a few things I would change for the next time I go. A backpack for one. They give you a bag to cart stuff around in but if you've ever been to a show at an exhibit hall you know that you get about 15 times the amount of stuff than you can carry and then have to truck it all up a parking garage or random pot-hole filled parking lot. And of course the book with all the information about all the lectures called "The Proceedings" weighs an additinal 20 pounds. The other thing is that I was up at 6:00 am both Friday and Saturday so I could drag my ass all of the way out to Ft. Worth (next year it's in Dallas!).

Regardless of all that I would go again in a heartbeat. I got to meet sooooo many interesting people and I learned a ton although I only had time to attend 4 lectures (they were each 4 hours long.) And I also had the opportunity to meet with professors from Texas A&M and Cedar Valley Vet Tech Distance Education. And after thinking long and hard this Sunday while my sore muscles took a break I've decided to hold off on Vet School and look into the Distance Learning certification from Cedar Valley.

It works like this. You talk to the doctors at the place you work at and one of them agrees to essentially be your mentor and preceptor while you attend classes online and through the clinic. I never even have to set foot in a classroom until my Level 4 classes which will be in 3 years. And in the end I take a State Exam and become a Registered Veterninary Technician. And the best part - my work pays for it all!!! And that way I can wait a few years on vet school since I really can't afford not to work right now and I don't have all that much time for classes. Enrollment begins in November and I already have my paperwork filled out! I'm sooo excited!

So everyone wish me luck

3 comments:

Manda said...

Your weekend sounds exhausting, and now I need a nap. ;)

Good luck w/ the distance learning thing. :) It's nice that you'll be able to still study and learn things while being able to work and be with your family and stuff. Congrats on the huge decision making. :D

Love your choice of books lately... I have Morrigan's Crossing, but haven't started reading it yet, and if you need any of the other Stephanie Plum books, I think Teresa has all of them... we passed them around at work and she ended up with all of 'em (thru 12. I have a holiday one that kinda sucks), so I'm sure she'd be willing to share if you want to read 'em. heheh :)

Dina said...

Good Luck!!!!

Stacy said...

Yay! Welcome to the "blog world"! Good Luck with everything!