Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Fun Work

Sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it? Well in a way it kinda is. I'm not sure how many other people will find this as interesting as I did but I just have to tell everyone.

If you don't like snakes you can stop reading now. I happen to love snakes but that's in part to the fact that my office sees 75% cats/dogs and 25% just about everything else.

Last Friday (on my day off of course) a guy brought in his pet Green - a green tree python. She's about 4 feet long and weighs 5 pounds. She's beautiful. If I can get the pictures from my doctor I will post them. Anyways she came in for not eating and strange behavior. Not very uncommon considering most people don't really know how to duplicate a rain forest for a snake in their own homes. We did an exam and come to find out we felt items in her abdomen. We took x-rays and found she had 7 eggs in her belly (she's never been bred)!

You see snakes just like humans can produce eggs all the time but do not actually have babies unless the eggs are fertilized. I'm most cases though the eggs do not even grow to be full size. Green is what we call "egg-bound" meaning for some reason she can't lay the eggs and they get trapped. And the only way to remove them is through surgery. So that's what I got to assist in on today - a snake spay!

Ok so I realize I sound really excited and you are probably sitting there thinking she's really weird but come on part of you is thinking "kinda neat"

I promise not to relay dozens and dozens of "work" stories but I thought that was kinda cool.

On a more appealing note - Lizzy's daycare took pictures back around the beginning of Sept and we got them back yesterday. I'll try to have John either post a copy on the website or I'll post one here. I have copies for everyone I just need to either see you or get stamps.

Also I was wondering what everyone's plans were for Halloween?

2 comments:

Tc said...

I don't like snakes but that is kinda neat!

You and anyone else who wants to is welcome to come trick or treating us! We are going to go around the neighborhood :)

Dina said...

Snakes are gross but that was kinda interesting. I guess you learn something new everyday. =P

As for Halloween, I have big plans of sitting on my couch watching It's The Great Pumpkin: Charlie Brown while eating the candy for the trick or treaters.

Oh and Katy is Tinkerbell. We are doing the inside trick or treating at the mall.